‘Academic impact: the demonstrable contribution that excellent research makes to academic advances, across and within disciplines, including significant advances in understanding, methods, theory, application and academic practice.
Wider impact: an effect on, change to or benefit to the economy, society, culture, public policy or services, health, the environment, or quality of life, beyond academia.’
“There are two questions that we continually need to ask ourselves: ‘what is the change I am seeking to make?’ and ‘so what?’ If we can clearly define and answer these for ourselves, we stand a better chance of defining it for others, and taking steps to truly understand our impact.”
Copied from: http://blog.hefce.ac.uk/2017/02/09/research-is-all-about-impact-2/
Administered by RBDC
Public Engagement related activities (full lists are available on the RBDC webpages): https://www.researchprofessional.com/funding/search/43281590
Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) opportunities: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/researchfundingsupport/newsandevents/globalchallengesresearchfund/
Administered by the Research Policy Office
- The University of St Andrews KE & Impact Fund 2017-18
Open for contingency and rapid response requests only.
Check back later in the summer for a new deadline schedule.
- EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) 2017-2020
- Scottish Funding Council (SFC) Global Challenges (GCRF) FY 2017-18
The Health Foundation has developed an online communications toolkit to help health and healthcare researchers (though most of it is relevant to any researcher) increase the influence and impact of their work.
- Section 1: Planning for impact will help you plan your communications activity and focus your communications on where they can make the most impact.
- Section 2: Communicating your research results will help you adapt and present your findings in order to engage different audiences.
- Section 3: Extending influence and widening impact will help you understand how to engage three of the key audiences for research dissemination and achieve impact on policy and practice.
- Section 4: Glossary of terms provides an explanation of the terms used in this toolkit.
Find out about research videos and some of the research recently undertaken by academic staff in this series of short videos. You can also view several business engagement and company formation videos which represent projects that were supported by our 2013-2015 EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account.
Research Impact@St Andrews showcases a range of impact enabled by research at the University of St Andrews in areas such as: