The St Andrews Research Engagement Fellowship scheme has been developed in collaboration with the Dundee Science Centre (DSC), aiming to place academics at the interface between academic research and public audiences. Fellows will gain insight into the work of DSC’s Program Development, Visitor Experience and Engagement teams, such as the conceptualisation, development and delivery of:
- activities, materials, and artefacts for effective engagement with research
- positive relationships with visitors and pro-active management of audience experience
- educational activities with and in schools across Scotland
- content for science festivals and similar events.
Additionally, Fellows are given the opportunity to establish a hands-on demonstration that highlights unique elements of their own research, or an online engagement activity, which can be showcased as part of DSC’s ‘Meet the scientist’ program.
Up to three Fellowships will be funded per year, and they will be supported by regular 1:1 RIS mentoring to discuss progress and to build a portfolio of engagement activities related to the Fellow’s research.
Duration and funding:
Up to 12 weeks full-time, or equivalent part-time (e.g., multiple shorter blocks, or 1-2 days per week) over a maximum period of one year. The funding will cover:
- 100% of costs incurred by DSC (day-to-day management, onboarding, etc.)
- travel costs to/from DSC and related activities or events
- materials/equipment required to showcase the Fellow’s research (up to £500)
- 80% of staff buyout (up to £10,000) or 100% of PhD student stipend fees.
- All St Andrews academic and professional services staff, although the Fellowship will be most suited for early-career researchers
- PhD students (years 3 or 4)
Prior to submission of the application, applicants should discuss options with their direct line manager to ensure that an appropriate plan can be put in place to support the Fellow’s existing day-to-day activities. In addition to the application form, a letter of support must be submitted along with the application from the applicant’s Head of School / Department / Unit and, for PhD students, an additional letter of support from their supervisor.
Submission deadline for applications: This fund is now closed
For any questions or further information please contact [email protected].